County Inclusion Support Service (CISS)
The CISS Annual Package of support is used to support and improve schools' inclusive practice. Examples of work within a package can include:
- Working with SENDCo to develop best practice around inclusion
- Supporting specific members of staff
- Completing learning walks and providing feedback around strategies for inclusion
- Observing lessons and providing feedback around strategies for inclusion
- Supporting policy development and implementation e.g. behaviour policy, wellbeing policy
- Modelling approaches and interventions
- Direct work with pupils not on CISS caseload who would benefit from it (with parental permission)
- Individual pieces of work have included support with transitions, supporting children to understand diagnoses, coping with anxiety, managing anger and building self-esteem
- Completing Thrive assessments and action plans (with parental permission)
- Small group staff workshops.
The CISS Annual Package includes:
- One initial planning meeting
- 15 school visits (2 hours per visit plus 30 minutes additional planning and admin time)
- One whole school 90-minute training session which can be tailored at a school’s request to meet their particular CPD needs
- Email and telephone contact, as necessary.
CISS also offers training and consultations (available via the Estore) on a variety of topics from individual pupil inclusion all the way to whole school inclusion issues. These workshops are either 45 minutes or 90 minutes in length depending on the topic. Learn more here.
Schools’ feedback on the CISS Annual Package has included:
‘The CISS Annual Package has proved to be an essential resources investment…. The support and guidance…provided to children, support staff, teachers, parents and the Headteacher/Senco has been incredibly valuable and has made a positive impact on the children’s learning and staff well-being.’
‘(The CISS Teacher) has provided practical advice, suggested strategies and interventions to support children in order for them to make progress, access the curriculum and communicate their concerns.’
'The Annual Package has been invaluable to both me as a new SENCo and the school as a whole, having the regular support of somebody who is passionate about supporting the needs of not only those children that have a diagnosis, but also those children who may need additional support with behaviour in order to access learning.’
‘At the beginning of the year,( the CISS Teacher) quickly evaluated the needs of our school with us and effectively created an action plan…We have been able to use the Thrive package which has provided high quality data that enables us to support children’s social and emotional development in a targeted manner.’